Tuesday, February 2, 2010

heatwave

Night shift starts tomorrow. I've had five days off to "prepare" (read: go to the beach, book holidays, sleep in the sun) and I'm still not ready. I am still having nightmares about my last days at work.

It's about 34 degrees outside, which means 31 in my bedroom. This weekend is the anniversary of the Black Saturday fires and the weather has given us a heatwave.

I've been reading first-person accounts of what it was like last year. I didn't know much about bush-fire preparedness before this, but now there's a special in the paper every weekend. Heavy clothing, wet blankets, don't try to flee at the last minute. It has encouraged me to read up on my burn treatments. I've seen a couple of bad burns (paediatric ED was particularly grim) but nothing like what these people have survived.

The heatwaves also mean old people and babies overheating in their homes, which means a busy ED.

I'm hoping for 6 nights of small cuts, non-cardiac chest pain and alcohol intoxication. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment