Monday, July 11, 2011

Love!

Monday is the worst day, right?
Not so! Not if you're living the dream that is family medicine.

On paper, it was a typically crappy medical day:
8 -12: "Evidence based medicine" (eg: reading journal articles aloud to each other) followed by "Behavioural medicine" (eg: social worker reading journal articles to us).

1-5: Clinic (eg: poking sick people & their icky parts)

5-9am: Call (eg: pager panic)

BUT in reality:

8-10: Immunization Trivial Pursuit
Seriously. Our program director (and head of U of T family med) actually made a Trivial Pursuit board game with questions about various vaccines. I believe the green was Diptheria, blue was Hepatitis and orange Varicella. I learned a tremendous amount, though I couldn't shake my craving for a G&T and some Pender sunshine.

10-12: Social work articles? Nope! Parenting lessons! And thanks to my father's professional tutelage, I had all the answers.

This relates to the time Dad asked brother & me to make a powerpoint on parenting for his students. As we turned his notes into slides, we exchanged worried glances. "Time outs? Neutral language? Psychological discipline? We've been parented!"

1-5: Clinic! Transgendered alcoholics begging for rehab! Tiny kids with sore ears! Swabs for lesbians with cheating lovers! Medical marijuana for HIV positive old dudes!

And as for call...

As of 10pm, I have taken some pages, answered some questions and done some reading. All from the comfort of my own home. With take-out tacos. In my undies. (34 degrees here).

I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment