Tuesday, November 10, 2015

grades???

I miss residency.

Alas, I am not joking. I don't miss the mandatory shift hours, the scut work or having to run every decision by someone subjectively senior to you.

What I miss is the feedback.

After every shift, I want someone to go through my list of patients and say, "You know, you could have done this better, but overall, you did a good job tonight"...

I realised this at the end of my second solo night shift. (Yep, just me, in charge of the whole ER, through a long and hectic night).

As I was leaving, a nurse grabbed me.
"Doctor, you've written a prescription for the kid in room 3?"
"Yes!" I cheerily replied.
"Yeah, you've written it on the chart for room 6..."

I groaned, tore up the script and made a joke about how I wouldn't be safe to drive home, as my brain was all goopy. The nurse smiled politely, but then, as I was leaving said, "You're doing a good job".
I stopped, frozen in place. "Sorry?"
"You're doing a good job! Have a good sleep."

The words were like pure chocolate, a rush of warmth and sugar and support and validation and...
And that's when I realised. I miss residency. I need external validation, which grownups don't get. So yes, maybe I'll go back to school. That critical care fellowship looks appealing. Just another 5 years of school???

1 comment:

  1. Le cabhair ó fhear ar a dtugtar an Dr Ogbodo bhí mé in ann a bheith torrach. Tá mé an-deacair dom go bhfuil mé ag iompar clainne ach is breá liom mo fhear céile ach bhí sé i ndáiríre ag déanamh dochair dom nach raibh mo leanbh féin agam ach tar éis blianta fada tháinig mé trasna an Dr Ogbodo a bhfuil a seoladh ríomhphoist (Miraclebabiesworld @ gmail. com) nó má shroicheann tú dó go díreach ar a uimhir fón póca +2347050270227 dúirt sé liom go mbeidh sé ag iarraidh Luibheanna a thabhairt dom a ól, agus beidh sé ag iompar clainne an tseachtain tar éis ól na Luibheanna a ól. Táim 8m ag iompar clainne anois agus beidh mé Is maith liom comhairle a thabhairt do gach duine atá ag lorg cabhrach chun dul i ngleic le teagmháil a dhéanamh leis an duine seo trína sheoladh ríomhphoist ag (Miraclebabiesworld@gmail.com) nó glaoch air ar a uimhir fón póca +2347050270227.

    ReplyDelete