Friday, October 15, 2010

Uh Oh

Adge and I had a rough day. Post-work, we needed a drink. We went to our hospital bar ("Where's the bar?" "Mom, it's a hospital, there's no bar." "No wonder people hate hospitals!") and ran into the Cardiothoracics team.

The 6 dudes I'm going to be working with for the next 12 weeks. Luckily, I was drinking, or else i'd be panicking right now.

"Ha, we make fun of Ken cos he's Asian..."
"I just don't get Jewish humor"
"O no! Two women interns? What will we do? TWO WOMEN?"

On and on, until one of them got a text message and said, "Dudes, we have to go. The hot nurses will be leaving soon and I want to hit that..."

This is the team I will be spending (roughly) 60 hours a week with, for the next 3 months.

They were friendly at the pub, but one of them already told me "I don't have a good side, so don't bother."

The other one looked sheepish at that, then told me, "I'm the moderate". And the third (married, devout Muslim, father of 5) told me, "I'm the nice one..."

But then they all laughed.
There is no nice one.

It's not that I think I can't handle myself; I worked at SSG for 6 years.

They duct-taped my head to a phone WHILE I WAS TALKING TO A CUSTOMER. They verbally and physically abused me. They were the most sexist, racist, homophobic pack of bitches on the planet. They were (in short) private school boys.

So why am I worried? Cos that was 9 to 5.
This is 6:15 to 7:15.
Am to Pm.

Expect either:
1) Total mental breakdown
or
2) Sam integrates. Adopts the behaviour. Starts hitting on nurses. Threatening to show you her balls. Etc etc.

And all I wanted was a quiet drink before moving day.

No comments:

Post a Comment