Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bliss!

I have peaked. My life will never get better than it did this morning.

I was putting the final stitch in a half-meter long leg wound (saphenous vein graft site, if you're interested) when two spotlights suddenly hit the needle. My senior boss and registrar had both turned to look at my work.

(They wear headlamps for surgery, hence the lighting. It's a lot like I'm a rabbit in the headlights, frozen and waiting for imminent death. But I digress.)

"Sam, that looks beautiful", my Senior Boss said.
"Sam, I never thought this day would come, but you're not embarrassing me", Registrar said.

I realise that this may be an indication of my low expectations, but this might be the best day of my year. Definitely the best day of my surgical rotation. My Reg let me close the chest alone, and as we were applying the dressings, we were both singing along with Elvis, "Dreaming of a White Christmas". A rare moment of harmony.

Combine that with a sunny half-day (I'm not wearing pants!) and buying flights (MEL-YVR-YOL-YVZ-DCA-YVR-MEL, phew...) I am flying high. And I get to go meet my lovely girls for burgers and gossip.

Happiness, thy name is Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment