Tuesday, August 9, 2011

more than family...

There is an incredibly annoying water bottle that my bosses carry. It's a PBA-free, all stainless steel, sustainable, caribeener-to-your-fixie-bike model. Conveniently sized to fit into a messenger bag. Just like every other hipster water bottle in Canada. However, this is not the source of my irritation.

This water bottle has a message on it:

"Family Medicine: more than family, more than medicine..."

I roll my eyes every time I see this.

But:

This week, I got sick. I woke up feverish, sore, sniffling and miserable. In Australia, this happened during my Rehab block. I was very, very, unwell but I did not miss a day of work. If I had, I would be looked upon as weak. Not pulling my weight. Letting down the mates. Etc. Etc.

On Monday morning, I sat in my teaching session, trying to snivel discreetly. After an hour, the head of Family Med stopped the lesson.

HFM: "Sam, are you sick?"
Me: "Urm. No. I'm just coughing up lung butter to demonstrate my understanding of URTI's"
HFM: "I think you should go home. You need to rest. Cancel your clinics."
Me: ....
HFM: "Off you go. You need to look after yourself."

I reeled for a moment.

Then I went home. I looked after myself.

Today, I am still sick. I went to my clinics, supported by a drug cocktail that (upon further research) is essentially crystal meth. And I got through the day.

Until 5pm, when we usually meet to discuss our patients. My preceptor, who is also sick, took one look at me and said, "Go home. You can't learn when you're sick. Call in sick tomorrow if you need to. You need to look after yourself."

More than medicine. More than family.
This job might just be good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment