Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blip!

Anaesthetics has previously been described as 98% boredom, 2% disaster.
This is apt.

However, this is also a perfect description for weekend call on Internal Medicine. I spent my morning scrolling through bloodwork results, checking vital signs, writing succinct notes to demonstrate due diligence and thinking about afternoon tea. It was dry, mind-numbing work, but I powered through and got it done.

Finally, I got my chai latte & rice-krispie square (delightful!) and sat down for 15 minutes of well deserved rest.

My pager went off.

"Patient desaturated to 75%, not responsive, please come ASAP"

The next 2.5 hours are lost in a blur of suctioning, blood gases, sternal rubs, compressions and ultimately, begging the ICU doctor to take my patient to a safe place. That is, a place he can be intubated.

I stumbled back into the Doctor's lounge and was surprised to find my latte was cold. I was drenched in sweat. My hands are still shaking. I have 22 unanswered pages.

Internal Medicine: 90% paperwork, 10% shit hitting fan.

0% afternoon tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment