Friday, June 28, 2013

First/Last

I am in my pajamas, on my couch in Toronto. Despite this, I am counting today as the first day of my ER fellowship. I have been watching videos of rapid diagnostic ultrasound all morning, preparing for our crash course next week. I have been letting the first flickers of excitement sneak past my wall of apprehensions.

Now that Family Medicine is over, (passed, attained, whatever) I do feel some regret about moving on. There were patients that cried when I told them I was leaving. Colleagues who I will miss. A lifestyle of 9-5, Monday to Friday that I got comfortable with. ER will be more challenging, with no room for error, terrible hours and less flexibility. I know this, but I am still getting excited.

I am hoping that the ER fellowship will give me lots to write about; the people who choose to work ER tend to have strong personalities, and the patients are generally bat-shit crazy. I will also be teaching residents and medical students, which has great potential for hilarity. (First win: I will be supervising my grade 9 ex-boyfriend, the most misogynistic man on the planet. I will be his boss during August. I will carry the memory of his realization face through the rest of my life.) I will also be working weird hours, alone a lot of the time, and attempting to study huge amounts of material in a small amount of time. There is a strong possibility that my husband will leave me.

All this is just to say; I will be blogging more in the future. I look forward to it.

Finally, whenever I am leaving a city, ending a program or just making a life change, I always seem to get nostalgic for the past. If you have any desire to sit down and hash out the when, why and how of the past, now's the time to do it. I've got lots of room on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment