Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fear-Based Medicine

Things come in threes. I hesitate to say "good" or "bad" things, but you certainly start to see patterns in the people who walk through the ER doors.

Last week I had 3 people with small bowel obstructions.

The first one I handled delicately, pressing and probing gently on their swollen belly. They got blood tests, lots of xrays and a CT scan before I felt confident about the diagnosis. The second woman got a thoughtful exam, a directed xray and a call to Gen Surg. The third? Slap on the belly and straight to OR.

My latest trend is anaphylaxis.

The first, a week ago, took place at the Urgent Care Centre (eg: not the full ER) and was a bit of a shambles. The nurses didn't realise they should give the epinephrine (epi-pen to y'all) in a muscle, not through a vein. They spent at least 20 minutes looking for a vein in a woman who's throat was closing rapidly. I quickly ordered the epi IM and then spent the next 4 hours shaking with terror at what had almost happened.

The second came in during my night shift. I was stitching up a drunk teenager (one of three!) when I heard my voice being called over the speakers. I ran to the cubicle to find the Staff calmly dispensing orders and monitoring the situation. Epi in the arm, back up drugs through the drip, monitor for 4 hours.

The third was wheeled in on an ambulance stretcher, gasping and flailing her arms. The ambos called "looks like anaphylaxis"! and I grabbed the nearest nurse. "Give her 0.5mg of epi IM stat, please!" It was done.

Then I actually assessed the patient. She did NOT have tongue swelling. She did not have a rash. Her blood pressure was stable. Her heart rate was acceptably fast. She was, not, in fact, anaphylactic.

I spent the next 8 hours watching her, waiting for the effects of the epinephrine to wear off. She was jittery and crazed all night. She settled as the sun came up. I did not.

The rule of threes may apply, but I haven't seen my third anaphylaxis yet. Because I was expecting one, I went ahead and dosed a woman with a drug that can cause cardiac arrest.

I am retreating to cold wine, a soft couch and a documentary about babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment