Thursday, August 1, 2013

Casting Call

I like it when people break bones.

Once they're "pain-free" (dosed with tylenol and told to suck it up) we get to pull on their broken limbs and listen for a tell-tale crunch. This means: 1) the bone has clicked back into the right location or 2) everything has just gotten much worse. The clicks and pops are very satisfying, as is looking at an xray that has gone from dinner-fork to deviation-free.

However, before you xray, you must cast. In Oz, we had one formal casting session. We wrapped our limbs in stockings, in padding and in sticky warm plaster, then pretended to have battles with our newly powerful forearms.

Today, we had another casting session. I expected much of the same, even had my camera ready for the nerdy-awesome FB photos we all secretly crave. Today, I learned I've been doing everything wrong, every time.

Folds in the stocking. Folds in the padding. Wrong.

Every fold creates a pressure-point under the plaster that slowly erodes your patient's skin. Ulceration is the beginning, infection and amputation the potential conclusion.

The plaster; I thought we just wrapped it on and sent them out the door. Not so! Every cast takes 24 hours to fully anneal, so my former patients are likely to have had their casts disintegrate, melting away and letting their bones settle into weak, painful and deformed poses.

My patients may have had their casts checked early though, as my handiwork would also have ensured a stinking, rotting layer of cotton batting between their skin and plaster. Apparently, you're not supposed to dip the batting with the plaster??

Every day brings further illustration that this year was a good idea. Not for the qualification, but for the disaster mitigation. The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing. Call me Jon Snow.

And wish me luck; tomorrow I am the trauma team captain for 24 hours. On call, watching from our balcony, awaiting the Ornge helicopter and it's bloody cargo. That or another prison fight. Kingston Pen is a valuable source of fresh wounds & limbs. This may be the best program ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment