Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I've made a huge mistake...

Standing in line at the grocery store today, I was sweating.

The couple in front of me were chatting to each other and the checkout woman. "Wow, how about this weather? How's your day going? You must be tired, on your feet all day..."

The lineup behind me was long and the cashier was moving slowly. People behind me were shifting their weight and sighing, jostling their food to get closer to the scanner.

Then, the gentleman ahead noticed a mistake on the screen.

"Oh, that coffee is supposed to be on sale for $6." He turned to me and winked, showing off his teardrop tattoo and missing teeth.
The checkout lady sighed, grabbed the phone next to her.
"Price check for grocery."
The gentleman's companion blushed and looked at the long line behind me.
"I'm so sorry"

The price check came in. That brand of coffee was not on sale, another brand was.

"I'll just go grab the right one," the guy said.
He took off, leaving his dishevelled backpack with his now mortified partner. Half their groceries were scanned and bagged, half were not. The woman stared at her feet, then glanced back at us again.
"I'm so so sorry..." she said.

Now, pause here. In any big city I've lived in, people would be muttering angrily at this point. Some people may even try to push by or glare at the woman waiting for her coffee.

In Kingston, the lady behind me smiled. "Hon, don't worry about it. You're gonna save 6 bucks! That's worth a wait!"

As we stood, waiting, the cashier told us there had been a fight earlier between a teenager and a geriatric man. The old man had come up behind the youth and pulled his hood off his head, telling him he looked like a thug. He then proceeded to punch him until the youth was forced to protect himself by hitting back.

"The police just left..." said the cashier, smacking her gum.

At this point, Mr Tears returned, brandishing the correct coffee. They scanned, they paid and walked out into the sunshine. I went ahead and loaded my groceries onto the conveyer belt, feeling light and easy.

I am going to miss living in this little town. I think we may have made a mistake in leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment