Wednesday, April 21, 2010

yeehaw.

I am officially a country girl. I moved into my flat last night; they put the interns into Pleasantville-style mini-houses across from the hospital. I made a home-cooked meal from scratch (bacon/chicken/mushroom/pumpkin risotto) and slept, without earplugs, for the first time since I moved to Australia. Bliss.

The patients are starting to know my face. I put a drip in a poor old lady and left a bruise the size of a pineapple on her forearm. Now, every time I walk by her room, she waves the black welt at me and says "Not so clever now, are we?"

My 14 hour shift included drips, catheters, drug charts and a code blue just as I was about to leave for home. When I finally arrived at Ward 9 (I got lost AND got locked into a safety corridor in the psych wing) I found the team chatting to a young girl who had just hung herself on her bedhead. The usual.

Today, I had all my real work finished by about 10am and am now free to wander the hospital looking for tea, cakes and free internet. As I said, I am now pro-country.

4 days down, 61 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment