Thursday, December 22, 2011

Master Class

I am a 30 year old professional woman.

I am a 15 year old girl.

I am home for this lengthy vacation because my program offers "conference leave". I blithely fudged a "Marriage Conference"; a master class in parenting, child psychiatry and general medical knowledge. Alas, karma is a bitch. I am now injured, highly parented and having a regressive episode. I am living the master class.

What have I learned so far?

- Physiotherapy is a real thing. I woke up walking like a 90 year old due to a mysterious back pain. After 30 minutes with the physio I was walking like a 70 year old. He snap, crackle & popped me into shape, all the while using vaguely familiar anatomical terms like "spine" and "joint". Voodoo.

- State dependant memory is a real thing. That is, the things you learn when drunk will escape you when sober, but come rushing back next time you have a drink. Alas, high school appears to be a state of mind as well. Sitting around the table with people who saw you go through puberty brings back some startling memories. Mostly involving nudity.

- Regression is a real thing. I am depressingly unable to care for myself when my parents are around. In TO I am on top of my game, baking, washing, working, studying and managing everything with aplomb. In Vancouver, I can't buy tylenol without supervision (who knew there were so many kinds?).

While I am basking in the family time, I am also looking forward to a time where I don't burst into tears at the thought of making a decision. When I get back, I'll be starting pediatrics; once my favourite rotation, now a source of great anxiety (eg: it's all fun & games till someone kills a baby). I am sure I'll look back fondly on this time of being wrapped in a fluffy cocoon of family. I am sure. Any minute now...

No comments:

Post a Comment