Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy Baby Posture

Remember medical school? Remember when all you wanted was to be around soft, squishy, wiggly babies all the time? Remember when you thought that nothing could be more delightful than baby-time, all the time?

Turns out you were right. I'm doing pediatrics right now, and baby-time is the BEST!

I start every morning with a round of the NICU, picking up babies that fit into my palm, poking their tummies, tickling their feet. Sometimes I cuddle them and get to feed them. Sometimes I stroke their soft spots until they calm.

Then, I go to clinic. All day, people bring their tiny adorable children to me. I sometimes get to watch them play (developmental clinic), sometimes get to help them eat (nutrition clinic) and sometimes get to wiggle their feet (well-baby checks).

So why am I 100% happy I'm going to be a family doctor, instead of a pediatrician?

Because sometimes your pager goes off at 1am for a "Code Pink".

Sometimes the baby is born early, at 33 weeks. And you have to run this tiny sack of skin down the hall and place it on a warming table. You have to bag & mask while your boss gets the tubes ready. You have to hold it still as a tube is forced down it's throat, then watch blood bubble up. You have to squeeze a chest the size of a toy, squeeze it with both hands until you feel it crunch flat. Keep squeezing at a rate of 100bpm. And then send the baby to Sick Kids, not knowing if what you've done caused harm or helped.

Sometimes there's a Code OB - emergency C sections for fetal distress. For these, you're doing the procedures in the OR and you can hear the Obstetricians behind you saying things like, "She's crashing!" and "Why are her O2 sats dropping?". And meanwhile, the baby is white as paper due to a lack of circulation.

Sure, not all pediatrics is so dramatic. But sometimes kids get sick cos of parental neglect. Sometimes they get sick cos they got into Gran's medicine. Sometimes they just get sick. And sick kids are the saddest thing in the world.

So, I am truly thrilled to be a Family Doctor. The kids I see have coughs, colds and rashes. They will pee on me while I try and find their testicles (harder than it sounds). They will puke on my lap and poop on my examining table. But 99% of them will go home with Mum, returning in 6 months for their annual shots.

And those are the babies I want to see. I'll send the rest on to the Pediatricians, and wish them all luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment