Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Taking the long way...

This morning, I helped the team insert five thick wires into a man's groin. Well, his femoral artery. He was awake, and I kept patting his shoulder and saying, "It's alright Mr X, it's supposed to sting a little". Then his arterial blood sprayed me.

Then I watched a video to prepare for tomorrow's lab session. In the film, a cadaver has it's eyelids cut away in preparation for corneal harvesting. Our job, as ER docs, is to cut the ligaments that hold the eye in place, then pop out the eyeball and put it in the esky (cooler, to you Canadians).

Then, I opened up my schedule for August. ER involves shift work at all times of day. I will be working for about 10 days in a row, between chunks of time off. Most of my shifts will be at night or in the evenings. I will not see much of my partner, who moved to Kingston in order to spend time with me.

This afternoon, another groin, more wires.

I am staring over the precipice of the "What have I done?" spiral.

I could be working Monday to Thursday, nine to five, with weekends and holidays, living in Toronto surrounded by friends. Instead, I picked the worst possible option for a newly married family doctor about to take on a huge amount of debt. Blerg, blerg, blerg.


No comments:

Post a Comment