Saturday, May 29, 2010

the big decisions...

I am going to move back to Canada next year.
There, I said it.

This weekend, the "Junior Doctors Jobs List" came out in the paper. My lovely friends were actually on the cover, and their smiling faces shone out at me as I sat in my Warrnambool brunch joint, eating hotcakes.

I thought, "I can't leave Australia! I have so many great friends here! I have a fantastic working environment! I like my co-workers and my lifestyle! Plus everyone's so good-looking!"

Anxiety began to gnaw at my stomach, detracting from the cinnamon-infused marscapone and toasted walnuts. My wonderful friends were, at that exact moment, driving 3 hours to come and visit me in my blissful sea-side town. How could I walk away from such a beautiful happy life?

Answer: ...um...

I think it's time. That's all I can say. I love my life here, which is why I can leave with a clear conscience. I'm not leaving cos I never settled in, I'm not leaving cos I'm fleeing an unhappy relationship or bad job. I can honestly say that I am 94% happy with my life here, so it's time to go.

"It all boils down to one portable phrase; if you love something, give it away."

Next up: 12 months of unemployment, anxiety and Canadian Medical Council Examinations. Gun-to-temple stuff. Bear with.

No comments:

Post a Comment