Monday, April 4, 2011

Lock up your daughters...

Boundaries. When is it ok to touch your patient? When is it ok to tell them personal things? When can you buy them a coffee? When can they give you a gift?

Today's lecture on doctor-patient boundaries was startling, relevant and occasionally hilarious ("I don't know how it happened, but suddenly my penis was in her mouth!").

I have some things to consider, especially in my approach to giving medical advice to friends. Apparently, I shouldn't. This may improve my experience at high-school reunions, where I have previously been asked about rashes, fertility and (by one particular ex) "this pain in my balls". It may also limit my social success. Without these answers, I don't have much to say to some people.

I digress. The take-home message from today's lecture was this: It IS okay to date your patients.

Seriously. New Ontario legislation states that as long as you terminate your doctor-patient relationship prior to commencing a sexual relationship, you are in the clear.

"I don't want to be your doctor anymore. Now take off your pants."

Where's a medical defense lawyer when I need him?

No comments:

Post a Comment