Thursday, April 28, 2011

God Complex II

I just hung up the phone with the Warrnambool Police department. They sent me an email (beginning with G'day and ending with Cheers) and asked me to call urgently.

I, frankly, suspected that they had traced my speeding fines back to my invalid Canadian license and were planning to charge me with unlawful operation of a motor vehicle. It was much more interesting than that.

Last year I saw a patient after an assault. The police are pressing charges against the assailants and wanted me to appear in court.

"I'm actually in Canada right now."
"Too right, are you coming back?"
" Well, I'm here for at least 2 years for a training program."
" Ah, good on ya, love. No court for you. Thanks for calling back."

Two things:
1. All the medico-legal stuff we've been covering has become startlingly relevant. Just this week we discussed our obligations towards court appearances, documentation and what to write when dealing with he-said-she-said.

The cop said that they have my notes. I remember the night clearly. It was late, I was over-caffeinated, the only doctor on and surrounded by drunk & violent patients. I am worried about my notes. My delirious scrawl might put someone in jail.

2. I really miss Warrnambool. Seriously, it was the best place to work. The people are friendly, the job was interesting, the Cops are cheery and they had TWO amazing burger joints within walking distance of the hospital.

Incidentally, we covered medical error in class today. This is where we (doctors) make a mistake and and you (sick people) get hurt. We apologize, and depending on the quality of the apology, you may or may not choose to sue.

I think back over my last year of wrong drugs, missed drugs, "chest-tube-in-the-liver", unnecessary transfusions and unnecessary operations. I worry. There are only so many countries I can flee to. Ah well. The cops will track me down eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment