Tuesday, August 17, 2010

False Modesty

I know what all the normal people feel like now.

I got up this morning, made my lunch, walked to work. Bantered with my co-workers. Sat through a meeting. Did useless paperwork. Had a lunch break. Came home. Ate dinner.

Nobody died. Nobody bled. I'm sure someone vomited somewhere, but I didn't have to smell it (or worse, examine it). And nothing I did today could have resulted in someone's accidental death. Accidental unnecessary x-ray, maybe. But NO DEATH!

Anyways, I hate it.

Rehab is touted as the perfect rotation for mid year. By now, we're all pretty burned out and tired, and rehab is mellow. Sedate. Coma-inducing. When we planned our year, buddy and I thought it would be ideal.

I am not enjoying it at all. It has all the drawbacks of gen med (interminable ward rounds, malingering patients, daily drug-charts) but lacks the glamour. You heard me. It lacks the glamour of GENERAL MEDICINE. Sigh.

Anyways, it's been good for my post-nights delirium, but please expect a rapid descent into madness. Rehab ward isn't even in the hospital proper, and every time I cross the chilly divide between acute and...brrr....subacute medicine, I feel a pang for emergency. 5 months to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment