Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A whole new world...

Alas, I have returned. Melbourne is lovely tonight, cold and crisp and moonlit, but I am moping. I am struggling with having to wear close-toed shoes, sensible shirts and most of all, pants. Down with pants!

That said, my current job is keeping me on my toes. I am the "relieving" intern, meaning I cover shifts that other people can't do (eg: if they call in sick). When there is no shift to cover, I get to help the anaesthetists in theatre. Monday morning, I was supposed to start at 11:30am in anaesthetics. However, as it was my first day back, I thought I'd check in with the hospital to make sure. At 8am, I rolled over in bed and rang the co-ordinator.

"Hi, this is Sam, I'm relieving today at..."
"O, great! Are you in the hospital now? Cos we need you to cover gen med."
"...um...no...I'm not at the hospital..."
"How soon can you be here?"

Which is how I ended up eating cold pizza on the tram at 8:09, un-showered and still wearing my pajama top under my sensible blouse. Worked from 8:23 (boo-ya!) till 6:20 that night and then went home to crash. Day one of relieving...

Day two has been more civilized. Anaesthetists like to talk and I'm a good listener, so I was regaled with footy tips, tales of bad doctors past and helpful hints on how to get a tube into someone's windpipe.

Awesome, right? Plus, wearing scrubs is the closest you can get to not wearing pants in a professional arena. I just need everyone to stay healthy this week. Vitamin C all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment