Monday, September 6, 2010

Don't eat the marshmallow!

Delayed gratification has been a way of life for me for almost 6 years now. I have been well trained in putting off my immediate desires (beer! travel! study-free nights!) in exchange for long-term goals (beer! travel! study-free nights! employment!).

Watching all the young, previously healthy patients in Rehab has been something of a kick in the pants; if you fall off your bike tomorrow, you could spend the next 40 years eating through a nasogastric tube. Life is too short not to try for happiness.

Life is too short to not eat the marshmallow.


With this in mind, I am having more instantaneous fun, but I am also trying to stop living my life with the big picture in mind. Now that I have a (satisfying) job, who cares how quickly I advance in my career? Not me.

Canada is my marshmallow. If it happens, great. If not, I've got some serious chocolate lined up as a substitute.

What spurred this outburst? Old flames popping up with life advice. I listen carefully to the suggestion, then do the opposite. And then I get this song in my head and...ding a ding a ding dinga ding ding...

No comments:

Post a Comment