Monday, September 6, 2010

Vive la difference

When I got my first paycheck, the first thing I bought was a proper bed. It felt fabulous to spend so much money on something that was JUST FOR ME (high hopes for my romantic future) but since then, I've pretty much been living my usual student life.

There have been other extravagances. I no longer get my hair done at the teaching salon. I no longer have a "black and gold" pantry; there are some brand-name foods in there. I eat out more often and get a second glass of wine with dinner. But deep down, I'm a frugal girl.

Until this weekend. I have seen how the other half lives, and I want it.

Beautiful B has moved into a one-bedroom. She has, all to herself, a bathroom, hardwood floors, floor to ceiling windows, and a balcony. She can have naked dance parties. She has room in her fridge for condiments. I want room for condiments!

I also want to live in Port Melbourne, home of the Liberal(s). It's the "blonde, skinny and posh" area of town. I've seen what my life would be life if I spent my money. I could buy imported Canadian candy (Reeses! Coffee Crisp!). Run around in yoga pants and not be sneered at by hipsters. Drink overpriced organic juice. I could buy a little dog and a little jacket for my little dog!

I know, it's a momentary infatuation. I'm sure I'd get sick of it the same way I get sick of Kitsilano; two weeks and I want to claw my eyes out. But for those two weeks, I'm happy to eat the fancy cheese, sleep on the 800-thread count sheets and wake up to the absence of pub noise.

Two weeks. Then I'm back to no-name tuna surprise. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment